Saturday, October 22, 2016

My Favorite (& Effective) Ways to Study

elliebeanz.tumblr.com

It is already the middle of the semester which mean that is MIDTERM SEASON!!!! Midterm time is one of the worst times for students who are scrambling to study and cram all of the information from the first half of the semester so here I shall bless you all with some tips and tricks on how you can study and actually retain the information that you need to know. 

Happy studying everyone!


photo by studylikewhoa.tumblr.com

Concept maps 


Concept maps are great because it's literally drawing how a subject can connect with a sub topic and so on. This is helpful because you're physically seeing how different things connect with some little blurb about the topic. I like using concept maps in Biology because I get lost with science terms and it helps me a lot to simplify the otherwise daunting biology terms. What I like to do is rent out one of the study rooms in the library with a big whiteboard and with my study group we make a massive mind map together. 

Quizlet


I like quizlit because I don't have to physically write out notecard since those are too tedious to hand make. Also quizlit has an app so that you can always take your notecards with you that's super convenient so you can save trees and space in your backpack 


anne-alytically.tumblr.com
anne-alytically.tumblr.com
 Writing Out Your Notes  

This sounds really old fashion but you have this thing called muscle memory and when you write notes out your notes you remember way easier than if you typed it up. You just tend to remember things you physically do like "hey I remember writing about the pH scale!"


Make your notes pretty


I always tell my friends to make their notes pretty because the eyes and mind are naturally drawn to aesthetically pleasing things. It's my favorite way of tricking my brain to study. Also you have no idea how many times my professors were so impressed with my pretty notes that they give me extra credit for the amount of effort I put into the content of the lecture. 

Read Your Notes Before Bed


my biology teacher told this to my class once and I tried it because what the heck do I have to lose? And since I'm not naturally good in science I became desperate and did it and it actually helps! I think its because it's the last bit of conscious information that you read and thought about that it gets ingrained in your memory. I also recommend skimming it first thing in the morning.


No comments

Post a Comment

© Anne Ganal
Maira Gall